Theories of Evolution

FCARR at delphi.com FCARR at delphi.com
Fri Sep 16 15:30:16 EST 1994

Quoting gwyckoff from a message in bionet.molbio.evolution
   [ Newsgroups: bionet.molbio.evolution
   [ Sender: news at uchinews.uchicago.edu (News System)
   [ Date: Thu, 8 Sep 1994 04:28:56 GMT
   [ If the alleged engineer who posted the response that evolution violates
   [ thermodynamic laws would like, perhaps they could try to look at
   [evolution as taking place at the level of an entire ecosystem, as
   [opposed to at an organismal level.  Though evolution does take place
   [at the level of an organismi n one sense, the origin of life, which I
   [believe what had the engineer in question in such a state, most likely
   [took place in a chemical soup.  In which c ase, an increase in
   [relative "order" in one part of the system would likely occur with an
   [increase in entropy in another portion of the system. Evolution, at
   [the level which it is most commonly applied, does not address the very
   [early part of the history of life.  It really only applies since DNA
   [(or at least, a self replicative molecule) has existed.  In which
   [case, we are really speaking of Molecular Evolution. (caps for
   [emphasis.) Molecular evolution involves the random replacement of base
   [pairs in DNA, and therefore a sort of reshuffling of genetic material
   [due to mutation. This violates no physical laws.  In fact, one could
   [make an arguement that entropy in a system actually increases if the
   [genome size increases, but that is not really relevant to the topic.
   [ I believe that the initial poster wanted to know about the different
   [ theories of evolution.  In reality, most of the historical theories
   [about how evolution occured have been discredited.  LaMarck believed
   [that organisms inherited those characteristics that their parents
   [derived during their life. The classic experiment that disproved this
   [was that if you take two rats, a male and a female, and cut off their
   [tales and subsequently breed them, they do not have progeny with no
   [tails (as LaMarck would have predicted.) (NOTE: I don't really recall
   [wether it's Lamarck or LaMarck.) This proved to be true even after
   [several HUNDRED generations. Darwin believed that Natural selection
   [acted upon variation which was already present in a population in
   [order to produce different characteristic s after many generation of
   [selection for a given trait. The idea here is that the variation is
   [inherint in the population.  With the rediscovery of Mendel's work
   [with pea plants, genes were seen as the units which defined a trait,
   [and alleles are the variations within that trait.  It's a little more
   [complicated than this, but it would take much longer than I have.
   [Anyway, the so-called Modern Synthesis is the use of the method of
K~   [heritable variation discovered by Mendel to make sense of the
   [observations of Darwin.  This is called selectionism . There are some
   [other ideas, but I can't go through them all here. For references,
   [please see the textbook Evolutionary Biology by Douglas J. Futuyma,
   [2nd edition, Sinauer Associates Publ ishers, Massachusetts
   [ or for a historical perspective, see any of the works by
   [ Dr. William Provine, Cornell University
   [ That's for a start.  There's a wealth of information out there.
   [ And please note that this channel is for serious discussion.  Someone
   [ actually asked a question here.  Just posting that Evolution violates a
   [ thermodynamic principle with a refernce to a work that explains the
   [principle but not how evolution violates it just dosen't cut it.  It's
   [just flame bait. So keep your mind open and talk, or just lurk, but if
   [you can't discuss or have nothing worthwhile to contribute, buy a
   [Nintendo and leave the rest of us alone.
   [ Thanks,
   [ Jerry
   [ DISCLAIMER-
   [ These are my own views or opinions unless someone
j   [ else has been cited.
   [ .

Rainbow V 1.03 for Delphi