Bovidae phylogeny, caprinae

Steven Hecht shecht at lamar.ColoState.EDU
Fri Sep 16 17:43:53 EST 1994

I am looking for more information on Bovidae, especially the caprinae
subfamily. One source I have read splits Caprinae into four tribes of
Saigini, Rupicapra, Ovibovini, and Caprini. Is there any recent work
on this in terms of the cladistics? Then Caprini splits as Psuedois,
Capra, and Ovis. I have some samples from Ammotragus lervia and
Hemitragus jemlahicus. I presume these should fit nearest Capra? Any
information or guesswork would be appreciated. I did see the cytochrome
B paper from 1991 (Irwin et al in JME), the work by Janis and Scott on
Ruminant Phylogeny in 87, etc. I'm hoping for more breakdown within
sheep and goats- Thanks.