Postdoc position

Bruce Cochrane BIO coch at chuma.ec.usf.edu.
Mon Sep 19 08:26:16 EST 1994

POSTDOCTORAL POSITION
University of South Florida
Molecular Evolutionary Genetics
Available March 1, 1995

We anticipate an opening for an NSF funded postoctoral research associate to
work under the direction of Drs. ROLLIN RICHMOND and BRUCE COCHRANE.
Support is available for 1-2 years.  We are interested in determining the
functional significance of naturally occurring sequence variation in
regulatory regions upstream of the EST-6 locus in Drosophila
melanogaster, previously identified by means of P-element transformation
with promoter-reporter gene constructs (see Ludwig et al., 1993; PNAS 90:
6233-6237).  We have now identified both single site substitutions and
indels in the region controlling expression in the male ejaculatory
duct.  The person in this position will be responsible for making the
appropriate constructs and performing P-element transformation to assess
the regulatory significance of these (and possibly other) polymorphisms.

Applicants should be experienced with standard molecular biological
techniques and P-element transformation.  Familiarity with comparative
sequence analysis and Drosophila evolutionary genetics is highly desirable.

The University of South Florida is the second largest university in the
state.  Research facilities are excellent; we occupy 1800 sq. ft. of new
laboratory space and have direct access to most modern equipment used in
molecular biology.  Human resources include several molecular biologists
and geneticists in the Department of Biology, as well as numerous faculty
in the College of Medicine and other nearby academic units.

If you are interested, please send your cv by mail or email to the
address below, including the names, phone numbers, and email addresses of
at least three references.

Bruce J. Cochrane, Ph. D.
Department of Biology LIF 136
University of South Florida