Program for tree comparison

Joe Felsenstein joe at evolution.genetics.washington.edu
Mon Apr 17 19:32:50 EST 1995

In article <adamsD71Moq.Gr1 at netcom.com>, Ed Adams <adams at netcom.com> wrote:
>Ed Adams (adams at netcom.com) wrote:
>
>My previous post, giving a long-winded algorithm, was sloppy. Here
>is a more refined, simpler, shorter-winded approach. It sounds like
>what I think Joe Felsenstein was suggesting, although merely flipping
>around isn't enough.
>
>		COMPARING NEW HAMPSHIRE UNROOTED TREES
>			with UNIQUE leaves
>
>Here's a strategy, followed by an algorithm:

I hesitate to dispute with the originator of the well-known Adams Consensus
Tree himself, but ...  my algorithm was for rooted trees.  For unrooted
trees, though, couldn't you just root them on the branch to the alphabetically
first tip (leaf)?  Then they would be uniquely rooted and one could use my
algorithm of "flipping around" and it would be enough?

Admittedly that is assuming there _is_ a branch leading to the first
tip.  And that rerooting is an easy operation.

-----
 Internet:         joe at genetics.washington.edu     (IP No. 128.95.12.41)