Patent on cladistic analysis involving unknown species

Bart.Nelissen nelissen at hgins.uia.ac.be
Fri Aug 4 05:27:59 EST 1995

On Fri, 4 Aug 1995, Ed Rybicki wrote:

> > Now we all have to use distance matrix analysis to identify
> > unknown organisms ...
>
> I do anyway...!  Seriously, tho, how can anyone patent the use of
> PAUP, which is in itself copyrighted?

If they have a patent on the use of cladistic analysis in general, I
suppose that this includes all possible ways of doing cladistic analysis,
and it doesn't matter with which software you would do it. In practice
this means that if you use PAUP, HENNIG, PHYLIP, or even a self-written
software package that performs cladistic analysis, you violate their
patent.

		Bart Nelissen

Dr. Bart Nelissen		| E-mail: nelissen at uia.ua.ac.be
Departement Biochemie		| 	  rrna at uia.ua.ac.be
Universiteit Antwerpen (U.I.A.)	| WWW	: http://www.uia.ua.ac.be/u/nelissen
Universiteitsplein 1		| Phone	: + 32 3 820 23 05
B-2610 Wilrijk (Antwerpen)	|	  + 32 3 820 23 16
Belgium				| Fax   : + 32 3 820 22 48

*	Databases of small and large ribosomal subunit RNA sequences:  *
*	WWW:	http://www-rrna.uia.ac.be/rrna/			       *
*	ftp:	uiam3.uia.ac.be					       *
*	E-mail:	rrna at uia.ua.ac.be				       *