Patent on cladistic analysis involving unknown species

Ed Rybicki ED at molbiol.uct.ac.za
Fri Aug 4 04:39:40 EST 1995

> To:            molecular-evolution at net.bio.net
> From:          nelissen at hgins.uia.ac.be (Bart.Nelissen)
> Subject:       Re: Patent on cladistic analysis involving unknown species

> Now we all have to use distance matrix analysis to identify
> unknown organisms ...

I do anyway...!  Seriously, tho, how can anyone patent the use of
PAUP, which is in itself copyrighted?

 |     Ed Rybicki, PhD      |  ed at molbiol.uct.ac.za   |
 |    Dept Microbiology     | University of Cape Town |
 | Private Bag, Rondebosch  |   7700, South Africa    |
 |   fax: x27-21-650 4023   | phone: x27-21-650-3265  |
 ------WWW URL: http://www.uct.ac.za/microbiology------

"And then one day you find, ten years have got behind you"