DNA data for humans, apes and outgroup???

Ludvig Mortberg Agneta.Guillemot at historia.umu.se
Wed Aug 9 17:23:38 EST 1995

robison at golgi.harvard.edu () wrote:

>There's probably quite a few.  It would probably be relatively
>easy to find all the sequences known for man, chimp, and one
>other by first searching the databases for all chimp sequences,
>and then using sequence similarity searches to identify which
>chimp sequences have corresponding outgroup matches.

>The logic behind this is that there are relatively few chimp
>sequences in the databases.  If you start with them, it
>should be pretty easy to identify which are missing the
>needed sequences in the outgroups (if the chimp sequence is
>known, then almost assuredly the human sequence is known)

>Good luck!

>Keith Robison
>Harvard University
>Department of Cellular and Developmental Biology
>Department of Genetics / HHMI

>robison at mito.harvard.edu

Thanks for your reply Keith. Do you or anybody know where and how to
search databases for primate DNA sequences. Is it possible to do
through the internet?

I feel I need to clarify what I mean by "humans, apes and outgroup". I
want info on which genes etc. that have been sequenced for _all_ apes
(chimp, gorilla, orang, gibbon) and an extensive outgroup (e.g.
baboon, rhesus monkey, owl monkey, some lemur etc.), and of course
humans.

Thanks!

Ludvig