Bootstrap programs?

higgins at higgins at
Fri Aug 18 05:11:21 EST 1995

In article <pwlepp-180895120359 at>, pwlepp at (Paul Lepp) writes:
> Does anyone know whether there is a program(s) that can assign bootstrap
> values to the groupings in a phylogenetic tree.  I understand PAUP does
> this, but I am hoping there is something that will run on a unix box.  We
> are running the PHYLIP package and fastDNAml.  Will anything bootstrap the
> output from these programs.  Any help would be appreciated.
> --
> Paul Lepp
> Dept. of Microbiology
> Michigan State University
> pwlepp at

You can certainly bootstrap the DNAML program from PHYLIP.  It will take
ages if you have much more than 7 or so sequences but it is certainly
possible.  I do not know how easy it is to bootstrap FASTDNAML but I
have seen published trees with such data given.

More or less all of the PHYLIP sequence programs can take multiple datasets
which you can generate as bootstrap samples using SEQBOOT.

Des Higgins
Hinxton Hall
Cambridge CB10 1RQ