info wanted on man ape hybrid

Jim Cummins cummins at POSSUM.MURDOCH.EDU.AU
Sun Aug 20 19:41:33 EST 1995

On 19 Aug 1995, JackF90000 wrote:

> There is no such thing as a man-ape hybrid.  A hybrid is a cross between
> two different individuals within a species (eg white & red flowering pea
> plants).  By definition, two species are not capable of interbreeding,
> therefore there is no man-ape hybrid.  If there were man-ape hybrids, man

That's not true.  Examples of interspecies hybridisation are legion. For
example, see the latest Scientific American where it's pretty clear that
the Red Wolf is actually a Grey Wolf-Coyote hybrid.  There are many other
examples - eg  Polar bears and Grizzlies, Red Deer and Wapiti.  The
problem is that our definition of a species is too sloppy. Species remain
as coherent mutually reproducing groups of organisms through a
combination of geographic and behavioural isolating mechanisms.  There
may well be historical examples of human-ape hybrids (we differ from
Chimpanzees by only a fraction of our genome) but such hybrids would
almost certainly be sterile through chromosomal imbalance.

Dr Jim Cummins                            +61-9-360 2668
School of Veterinary Studies          FAX =61-9-310 4144
Murdoch University               cummins at possum.murdoch.edu.au
Murdoch, Western Australia 6150
Windows 95? More like Mac OS '84