Me again on Evolution

R M Bernstein ralph at ccit.arizona.edu
Sun Aug 27 10:01:02 EST 1995

In Article <41qk0d$418 at elmo.tju.edu>, Darin Trelka <trelkad at jeflin.tju.edu>
wrote:
>I hate to disagree, but natural selection and humanity don't go together
>anymore.  With the onset of modern medicine, we had effectively removed
>ourselves from the process, much to our species detriment.
>Interestlingly though, as I'm sure you're aware, it is at that point that
>we began harnessing fire, changing our environment to suit ourselves,
>that we were free of the bondage of natural selection, thereby allowing
>our species to exponentially grow in relative safety (because we then
>abrogated many parasitic infections by cooking meat), and new found
>comfort (as any caveman will tell you, a cave is alot more cozy when its
>25 degrees C as opposed to 4--in addition to keeping us warm enough to
>fight off any chill that could result in a mortal viral infection).  At
>this point, however, it is difficult for any of us, as rational and
>feeling human beings, to allow such natural processes such as disease and
>death to bolster our species, thereby allowing the forces of selection to
>choose whose genes are deposited into the next gene pool.  I mean, who
>would allow their son or daughter to die of polio when we have such an
>effective vaccine to prevent it?  Just a perspective...
>
>D P. Trelka

well, dp trelka,
i would argue that you have just proven the point that natural selection is
continuing.  read what you said, these are advantages that were selected for
via greater intellegence and abilities.  and these new adaptations allow for
selection to continue thru that "frame of reference".

just another..

regards, ralph

Ralph M. Bernstein
Dept of Micro/Immuno