Phylogenetic compatative programs-shareware?

Garry P. Larson glarson at ccmail.llu.edu
Wed Aug 30 11:43:31 EST 1995

I am interested in comparing certain gene regions (coding and noncoding)
between closely related viral variants.  Being new to the game, does anyone
know if there is (are) a USER FRIENDLY (of course this is relative),
Mac-based  programs available via ftp transfer, etc. or the Web to
accomplish this task.  My goal is to compare an unknown sequence to a known
database which will enable me to place the unknown into a specific subgroup
in the database.  I would anticipate that these sequences are 90-95%
homologous in the region being examined.

Many thanks,

GLarson