Reptile species via DNA.

David Orange orange at nevada.edu
Tue Aug 29 10:53:16 EST 1995

In article <n1402514376.41570 at mailgw.surg.med.umich.edu>,
Gregory_Russell.PEDIATRICS at MAILGW.SURG.MED.UMICH.EDU ("Gregory Russell")
wrote:

>   REGARDING           Reptile species via DNA.
>
> I am interested in conducting a study on various reptile species and
> "sub-species" within one genus in an attempt to sort out the phylogeny and
> evolution of species within the genus.
> I intend to use RAPDs on nuclear DNA to do this as an initial study.
> I would also like to examine a nuclear gene that has a high mutation rate in
> an attempt to detect any differences. Sequencing huge chunks of DNA is beyond
> the scope of this initial study however, I was wondering if there is a small
> region in reptiles (or vertebrates) that would be worth looking at (maybe a
> small protein or a highly variable region).
> Does anyone have any suggestions????
>
> Thanks.
> Greg Russell PhD.
> (Research Fellow)
Then again, how 'bout good 'ol mtDNA?  I generally use ND2 or COIII for
w/in species.  Cyt-b is generally good for w/in genus or family, depending
on the divergences.  If you can't sequence for some region, RFLPs can be
used to obtain a rough topology and divergence estimate.  If you use a
cluster alogorithm (UPGMA or better yet, NJ), you should be able to use an
exemplar haplotype and reduce the sequencing load.

Good luck,

David

--
->:)