Steve LaBonne and Mitochondrial genetic codes

S. LaBonne labonnes at csc.albany.edu
Wed Aug 30 16:43:13 EST 1995

In article <1995Aug30.170305.40874 at ac.dal.ca>,  <aroger at ac.dal.ca> wrote:

>> As Ludwig Wittgenstein was oft heard to say: "Wovon man nicht sprechen
>> kann, darueber man muss schweigen. Steve: "Schweigen sie bitte bis sie das
>> Buch gelesen und verstanden haben." If you were multicultural you could
>> read that!
>
>I always thought the use of other languages was to express meaning
>that one couldn't otherwise.  This serves only to obfuscate.
>Just remember that your ability to express yourself in multiple
>languages could also allow you to communicate your ignorance to
>a larger audience.

In case anybody who doesn't understand German (I have just a
smattering) really _was_ wondering what Hubert was saying, herewith a
translation: " 'Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must remain
silent'.  Steve: 'Please shut up until you have read and understood my
book'".  To which I reply, in the spirit of "multiculturalism": "Allez
au diable, vieux farceur, meme si j'etais riche jamais je ne donnerais
pas un sou pour votre fichu livre." ;-)

By the way, thanks for an enlightening post.  I hadn't read Hubert's
"account" of the origin of mitochondria carefully enough to fully
register how seriously weird it really is. I wonder if he'd like to
present some evidence for this scenario and/or against the widely
accepted relationship of mitochondria to the purple bacteria.
Of course, he'll probably just reiterate that he doesn't believe in
phylogeny. ;-)
--
Opinions are mine alone; I never met a university with opinions!
Steve LaBonne ********************* (labonnes at cnsunix.albany.edu)