microsatellites for phylogeny

Teri L. Lear EQUIGENE at UKCC.UKY.EDU
Tue Feb 14 18:33:52 EST 1995

We are thinking about using microsatellites for phylogenetic analysis but
we have some concerns relating to their high mutation rate.  I would appreciate
hearing opinions on the use of microsatellites for this purpose.  We are most
interested in comparing the evolution of the nuclear genome to the evolution of
the mitochondrial genome in equids.  Preliminary data using RAPDs has produced
a phylogenetic tree different from that produced using mtDNA markers.  Comments
and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Teri L. Lear
Department of Veterinary Science
Gluck Equine Research Center