student journal club subgroup

John Sawicki BWAF90A at prodigy.com
Thu Jan 5 04:03:28 EST 1995

Does war select for nothing?  I am not quite so sure.  Take for instance
a group of soldiers fighting in some foriegn area, I would bet that some
are more resistant to the diseases of that area.  Take for instance
certain individuals that are remarkebly resistant to radiation damage in
post Hiroshima.  There will always be exceptions to selection factors,
and those individuals will go on to reproduce.  For the statement "war
selects for nothing" to be true, you must accept that war does not expose
large groups of people to various selection factors.  That, is ridiculous.
  Whether, nuclear, malnutrition, the thousands of potentially fatal
microbes, cold, or many other selection factors that have been associated
with war over the years, they all have affected large groups of people,
and some of those people have a natural resistance.  Now to what degree
war selects, or exposes individuals to selection factors, is debatable,
however,  the general statement that war selects for nothing is surely
untrue.
Replies appreciated.

John
-