Green People

Mahlon G. Kelly mgk at darwin.clas.Virginia.EDU
Sun Jan 15 13:26:43 EST 1995

bsheaff at  writes:
>    I have entered this newsgroup at my own risk to ask what may be a
> stupid simple or bizarre question.
>    Why are there no higher photosynthetic animals? It would seem to me as
> a layman, that it would be an evolutionary advantage to be able to m.y.o.
> food. It would also seem that this cellular organelle could be an
> advantage during hard times  and that also much animal waste could be
> effectively used by a photosynthetic process. I thought that maybe the
> division of the two groups (plants and animals) occurred early enough to
> prevent the combination form, but that is the only idea I can come up
> with.
>                                  Thanks
>                                  Braxton
                                                                                                                                                                                   |             Bill Sheaffer <Braxton>                   |                      |

That is not a stupid question. There are, of course, symbionts
with animals. Most notably zooxanthellae, which are algae
symbiotic with various groups, such as corals and the "giant
clam" tridacna.
Associate Professor (Emeritus)
University of Virginia
mgk at