Correction MBE 12:1-6.

G. Brian Golding golding at mcmail.cis.mcmaster.ca
Tue Jan 17 13:37:03 EST 1995

Please note that in a recent publication by Golding & Gupta MBE 12(1):1-6
there is an error that has come to our attention.  The photolyase protein
is stated to give an unrooted phylogeny that clusters archaebacteria and
gram positive bacteria.  An incorrect classification of one species
and two additional sequences for eukaryotic photolyase proteins have
altered the significance values for these proteins.  Although the
archaebacterial sequence still trees amongst the gram positive
bacteria, the trees are no longer statistically significant.  The
likelihood of the ((P,A),(N,K)) tree is now only 1.907 standard
deviations above that for ((P,N),(A,K)) and hence is no longer
significant at the 5% level (P=gram positive, N=gram negative, A=
archaebacteria, K=eukaryotes).  This change occurred after the paper went
to press. (The databases are growing constantly.  We are pursuing the
analysis of additional sequences.)

Brian Golding