sMatthew Kourakis alt.cad alt.california alt.callahans alt.cascade alt.censorship alt.cereal alt.child-support alt.chinese.text alt.chinese.text.big5 alt.collecting.autographs kour at
Tue Jan 17 22:54:47 EST 1995

In article <4054.2f114dbe at>, feldman at wrote:

> Does anyone know of any examples where a molecular phylogney has
> contradicted a morphological one and may indicate convergence of
> morphological characters?  I would greatly appreciate any references
> to such.
> Thank you
> R.A.Feldman
> (running dog of evolution)

We recently published a phylogeny of scombroid fishes (tunas, mackerels,
swordfish, marlin etc.) based on the mitochondrial gene cytochrome b that
contradicts certain aspects of two morpholgy based phylogenies published
for the Scombroidei in the last ten years.  Convergence in external
morphological features appears very likely in this case.  It was published
in the last issue of Fishery Bulletin [Finnerty and Block, Fish. Bull.
93(1) I think, but I don't have the page numbers handy].
-J. Finnerty