Green People

Keith Robison robison at lipid.harvard.edu
Wed Jan 18 09:17:39 EST 1995

Tom Holroyd (tomh at BAMBI.CCS.FAU.EDU) wrote:
: true, but could we genetically engineer chloroplasts to live in
: human skin cells, to *supplement* our food intake?

You would also have to genetically engineer us -- many plastid genes
(probably >1000) migrated to the nucleus over evolutionary time.

You could, of course, try starting the process over by engineering
a cyanobacterium or other photosynthetic prokaryote.

Keith Robison
Harvard University
Department of Genetics / HHMI

robison at mito.harvard.edu