HSP70 evolution

S. LaBonne labonnes at csc.albany.edu
Wed Jan 18 16:06:12 EST 1995

In article <1995Jan17.163248.3175 at emba.uvm.edu>,
Brian Foley <brianf at med.uvm.edu> wrote:

>	I'm not sure what the overall point is here:  To decipher the
>evolutionary tree of organisms, or the tree of Heat Shock proteins?
>If you wish to decipher the tree of oprganisms, you should look at many
>genes from different families, and not just one.  Cammarano et al in

You've put your finger directly on the thing I find most mystifying
about some of these debates: that the pros in molecular phylogeny,
whom one would expect to understand these things, seem repeatedly to
lose sight of the basic distinction between gene trees and organism
trees- a distinction familiar even to relatively untutored outsiders
like me.  Maybe it has something to do with the amount of ego that's
invested in some of their positions. ;-)
--
Steve LaBonne *********************** (labonnes at csc.albany.edu)
"It can never be satisfied, the mind, never." - Wallace Stevens