population genetic simulation software needed

Raul O. Castillo roc at VMS2.MACC.WISC.EDU
Tue Jan 24 09:51:31 EST 1995

>Hi,
>
>I am not sure if this is the appropriate place to post this, but as there is
>no population genetics group, here goes.
>
>I am beginning my first year of teaching, and am looking for a program to
>simulate change in gene frequencies (one-locus, two-allele would be just fine)
>in order to teach 2nd year college students the basics regarding evolution at
>a genetic level. I could do this with spreadsheets but this precludes the
>effects of drift, making it a somewhat sterile exercise. The ideal would be
>something that we can change population size, starting frequencies, selection
>coefficients for each genotype and generations. If anyone has such a program
>or knows where I can buy or FTP one, please let me know. On this group is
>great, but via e-mail would be better.
>
>Thanks a lot
>
>Rob Brooks
>Zoology Dept.
>University of the Witwatersrand
>
>ROBB at GECKO.BIOL.WITS.AC.ZA

Try Crossover by Jack Staub, the University of Wisconsin Press, ISBN
0-299-13564-0. This a computer program for Macintosh. I believe you can buy
one at any book store or ask to Satub by sending a fax 608-262 4723.

Raul O. Castillo
ROC at macc.wisc.edu
U. of Wisconsin, Horticulture,
1575 Linden Dr., Madison, WI 53706