population genetic simulation software needed

WRATHAL at american.edu WRATHAL at american.edu
Tue Jan 24 18:14:17 EST 1995

In article <robb.18.018DDB1E at gecko.biol.wits.ac.za>
robb at gecko.biol.wits.ac.za (Rob Brooks) writes:

>I am not sure if this is the appropriate place to post this, but as there is
>no population genetics group, here goes.

There actually is - population-bio

>I am beginning my first year of teaching, and am looking for a program to
>simulate change in gene frequencies (one-locus, two-allele would be just fine)
>in order to teach 2nd year college students the basics regarding evolution at
>a genetic level. I could do this with spreadsheets but this precludes the
>effects of drift, making it a somewhat sterile exercise. The ideal would be
>something that we can change population size, starting frequencies, selection
>coefficients for each genotype and generations. If anyone has such a program
>or knows where I can buy or FTP one, please let me know. On this group is
>great, but via e-mail would be better.
>
>Thanks a lot
>
>Rob Brooks
>Zoology Dept.
>University of the Witwatersrand
>
>ROBB at GECKO.BIOL.WITS.AC.ZA

There is a program out there called POPULUS, which is really pretty
neat for one which is about 7 or 8 years old. It has everything that
you want, and I think I heard that it is being offered as a down-
load. However, I don't know where it comes from - I think it may be
U. Minnesota, but I am not sure. If someone can lead both or us to
this, I would appreciate it also.
                               Dick Wrathall