Pseudogenes/Sequences with introns

Laurent Duret duret at evoserv.univ-lyon1.fr
Thu Jan 26 02:20:33 EST 1995

Ram Samudrala (ram at mbisgi.umd.edu) wrote:
: I did a literature search on pseudogenes and from the abstracts all
: the pseudogenes seem to be intron-less.  I am looking for pseudogenes
: that might have arisen out of gene duplication events as opposed to
: retroviral insertion.  (Or does the definition of a pseudogene apply
: only to a retroviral insertion?)

I used HOVERGEN[1] search for intron-containing pseudogenes among GenBank
vertebrate protein-encoding genes (GenBank release 86).

This was done by :

1 - searching for  CDS declared to be "pseudo" and

2 - searching for split CDS  (i.e. CDS with join:...)

I found 219 entries describing such intron-containing pseudogenes. Many of them
correspond to globin, MHC and Ig pseudogenes.

These entries are listed at the end of this mail.

Best regards,

Laurent Duret			    duret at biomserv.univ-lyon1.fr
Tel: 	+33 72.44.81.42		    Fax:	+33 78.89.27.19
Laboratoire de Biometrie, Genetique et Biologie des Populations
Bat 741 - URA CNRS 243 Universite Claude Bernard - Lyon I
43, Bd du 11 Novembre 1918
69622 Villeurbanne cedex FRANCE

[1] L. Duret, D. Mouchiroud & M. Gouy (1994) HOVERGEN: a Database of
Homologous Vertebrate Genes. Nucleic Acids Research 22:2360-2365

PS: this database is available by anonymous FTP at biom3.univ-lyon1.fr

BOVBG
BOVFGG
BOVHBP1