Can Natural Selection Apply to HIV?

Gene Levinson gl1 at ix.netcom.com
Fri Jan 27 23:12:47 EST 1995

Since viruses are not sentient, they do not have "goals". The problem
with this kind of teleological approach is that it makes it more
difficult to understand just how and why viruses such as HIV emerge. I
would suggest an excellent book on the subject, that illustrates the
ways in which human activities encourage the emergence of HIV, ebola,
multiple drug resistance and other scourges, including those that will
almost certainly produce major, devastating epidemics in the future. The
book is called "The Coming Plague", and is available in bookstores. It
rivals the captivation of "The Hot Zone", and covers a broader scope,
and is equally captivating.

It is true that those viruses that reproduce most efficiently will
prevail, and HIV most certainly evolves in its hosts. Natural selection
most certainly acts on HIV. The virus mutates a million times faster
than eukaryotic genes, because it has an error-prone reverse
transcriptase. That plus human activities that encourage its spread is a
deadly combination.