HSP70 evolution

S. LaBonne labonnes at csc.albany.edu
Mon Jan 30 11:34:18 EST 1995

In article <1995Jan29.193030.33240 at ac.dal.ca>,  <aroger at ac.dal.ca> wrote:

>Simply saying-- "its simple; gene phylogeny doesn't always track
>organismal phylogeny" -- is entirely MISSING THE POINT.  The central
>problem is;" is hsp70 tracking  organismal phylogeny?" -- and currently the
>molecular data (perhaps the only very strong data bearing on the
>phylogenetic question at hand) are giving a mixed message.  We
>cannot easily decide whether the hsp70 tree shows a different
>topology than the elongation factors or rRNA because of lateral
>transfer events of the former or the latter or whether there was
>a fusion event.  If lateral transfer does explain hsp70 then
>between which cells did it occur?  Why do several other genes
>show similar topologies to hsp70?

Why do you believe that I disagree with you?  My point was precisely
that "molecular data are giving a very mixed message", and therefore
that constructing grand hypotheses about evolutionary histories just
to explain hsp70 and a few other genes is rather premature.  Your
last two questions above, in particular, are clearly in need of more data
before they can be answered.  Surely you agree with this statement?

--
Steve LaBonne *********************** (labonnes at csc.albany.edu)
"It can never be satisfied, the mind, never." - Wallace Stevens