Counter-proof against the molecular clock theory???

Ludvig Mortberg Agneta.Guillemot at historia.umu.se
Mon Jul 10 12:52:24 EST 1995

First of all you have to define what the molecular clock
is all about. One definition could be: the molecular
clock states that homolog parts of the genome with
similar functions or physical positions on the
chromosome(s), e.g. a certain gene, an intron or a
specific non coding region between coding sequences,
change with a constant speed, in a random manner, in
different species.

For example compare myoglobin, or rRNA in falcons
and you should be able to determine the relationships in
this group.

Can anyone figure out a way of producing counter-
proof against this theory? How would one go about
doing this? One way would be to find in an analysis of
relationships of species different evolutionary trees
when comparing different portions of the genome. I
belive this has been found. Another way would be to
find inconsistencies when comparing molecular data
with paleotological data. I think this has been found to.
Perhaps somebody can fill me in on this. Anyone know
other ways of producing counter-proof to the molecular
clock theory? Or proof of it for that matter.

Hope to get some lively arguments.

Ludde