Junk DNA

Scott Kuhns Kuhns at harvey.mayo.edu
Fri Jul 14 14:44:28 EST 1995

In article <hazlets.805333359 at wizvax>, hazlets at wizvax.wizvax.net (Samuel H
Hazleton V) wrote:

> Would someone clarify for me what "junk" DNA is?  Is it just a vestigial
> evolutionary leftover or does it really have a function?
There were a couple of what I thought to be facinating articles in Vol 284
of Nature 17 Arpil 1980, The first was by Sapienza, C and Doolittle, W.F.
page 601, and the other was by Orgel, L.E. and Crick, F.H.C. page 604.
The describe "selfish" DNA where they visualize junk, or nonspecific DNA
existing mearly because it can.  Just read it.

Eric M. Rohren
Department of Immunology
Mayo Clinic
Internet: rohren at harvey.mayo.edu