Newick tree format read/write routines

William S. Hayes william at amber.gatech.edu
Fri Jul 21 10:18:01 EST 1995

Joe Felsenstein (joe at evolution.genetics.washington.edu) wrote:
: In article <3um580$9b8 at mordred.gatech.edu>,
: William S. Hayes <william at amber.gatech.edu> wrote:
: >In case someone else has already figured this out, further if someone
: >has put together a program to determine the distance between two
: >organisms using the newick format or some other format, I would very
: >much appreciate being pointed towards it.

: It sounds like you want to read in two trees and then take one
: species and ask how far it has moved from the one tree to the other.
: That is not a well-defined question if other species may have moved too.

: Is that the question you wanted to answer?

No, I actually want to figure out the evolutionary distance from one organism
to another programmatically given random organisms (organisms that are in
the tree).