from gloria stephens

gloria stephens stephens at hq.jcic.org
Sat Jul 22 11:07:10 EST 1995

Tabby genes are in the genotype in all domestic felines.
For the tabby pattern to be seen at its best, the Agouti gene must be
present;is dominan. Its recessive, nonagouti, is responsible for the
solid colored hair shafts.
The gene for full color pigmentation is located at the Albino locus, and
the recessives for diminished pigmentation areat thatlocus.

A = agouti, a\a = non agouti
B\- = black, b\b=chocolate, b(l)\b(l)=cinnamon
T(a)\ = Agouti tabby
T = Mackerel tabby
t(b)\t(b) = classic tabby
C\- = full color,
c(b)\c(b) = sepia or Burmese coloring
c(s)\c(s) = pointed coloring

The genotype for the tabby (I am leaving out the dense pigmentation,
white spotting, silver etc genes) would be

A\-, B\-, C\-, T(a tabby pattern)

The genotype for the solid colored Siamese is:

a\a,  B\-, c(s)\c(s), T(a tabby pattern)

If the tabby is homozygous for Agouti (A\A), all kittens are tabby.

If the tabby is heterozygous for Agouti (A\a), then some of the kittens
MAY be solid.

To say that one will always gave a certain percentage of kittens born
'solid' is, IMO, impossible.

In the solid black, the eumelanin is there, nothing to change it. In the
Siamese, the eumelanin is there, but the pointed gene (thermolible) form
of tyrosinase has allowed altered pigmentation to develop on the coldest
part of the body - the points. Eye color also is changed, in that there
is no pigmente deposited in the front of the iris, therefore, the light
that is reflected back - is blue.

Gloria Stephens