what rules encourage diversity?

David H. Griffin griffin at mailbox.syr.edu
Tue Jul 25 14:50:11 EST 1995

In article <3usd6o$qtr at engnews2.Eng.Sun.COM>
joss at Eng.Sun.COM (Jos Marlowe) writes:

> I am doing research in economics. I am specifically interested in finding natural
> rules that discourage monopolies and encourage diversity. I am asking this question
> in bionet.molbio.evolution because there may be an answer in molecurlar biology
> that could be applied to economies.
> Any pointers to research, books or other news groups would be deeply appreciated!
Considering within species diversity, rather than among species
diversity, sexual reproduction results in genetic diversity, while
asexual reproduction results in genetic similarity among individuals in
a population.

Examples of literature citations discussing this:

Adams, G., S. Hammar and T. Proffer.  1990.  Vegetative compatibility
in Leucostoma persoonii.  Phytopathology 80: 287-291.

Leonard, K. J. and S. Leath.  1990.  Genetic Diversity in Field
Populations of Cochliobolus carbonum on Corn in North Carolina.
Phytopathology 80: 1154-1159.

Metzenberg, R. L.  1990.  The role of similarity and difference in
fungal mating.  Genetics 125: 457-462.

Proffer, T. J. and J. H. Hart.  1988.  Vegetative compatibility groups
in Leucocytospora kunzei.  Phytopathology 78: 256-260.

Stamberg, J. and Y. Koltin.  1981.  The genetics of mating systems:
fungal strategies for survival. In D. T. Wicklow and G. C. Carroll
(Eds.), The fungal community:  its organization and role in the
ecosystem. pp. 157-170.  Marcel Dekker, New York.

David H. Griffin
Department of Environmental & Forest Biology
College of Environmental Science and Forestry
350 Illick Hall
One Forestry Drive
Syracuse NY 13210-2788
e-mail: griffin at mailbox.syr.edu