what rules encourage diversity?

jonathan sheps gbga96 at udcf.gla.ac.uk
Tue Jul 25 07:04:37 EST 1995

In article <3usd6o$qtr at engnews2.Eng.Sun.COM>, joss at Eng.Sun.COM (Jos
Marlowe) wrote:

> I am doing research in economics. I am specifically interested in finding natural
> rules that discourage monopolies and encourage diversity.

It seems to me that what encourages diversity in nature is genetic
isolating mechanisms and geographic restrictions on exchanges between
biotas. The economic analogue is presumably restriction on
trade...something we have less and less of every year, so we may be moving
in the wrong direction from your point of view. Now if you don't want a
world where every isolate developes its own monopoly then you have to
ensure that capital is even less mobile than the people who can choose to
use it.  I.e. restrictions on trade even though people can move about more
easily...like the EC before 1992, when it wasn't yet a common market, but
had no border controls. A happy state we have now lost I fear. Call it
democratic feudalism.