Comparing Sequences: on PCs?

Tom DeVrie tomdevrie at aol.com
Wed Jul 26 07:59:29 EST 1995

Are programs for comparing base-pair sequences available on Macs or PCs,
rather than only on Unix work stations?

Four years ago, I took a grad course in mol. evoln. at Oregon State.
There, we used Unix-based programs for comparing sequences and
constructing trees.  Now, I am participating in a summer program in mol.
biol. for high school teachers.  My final project will be designing a
evolution/mol. biol./ stratigraphy/radiometric dating integrative elective
course.  One part of the course will be to take Genbank sequences from
related organisms (e.g., cetaceans) and establish their similarity.  For
mtDNA sequences of 250-350 bp, this could be done crudely by hand, but
program that aligns sequences, assigns color codes to nucleotides, etc.
would be more appealing to students, not to mention more efficient and
powerful.

Thanks for any help that can be offered.

Tom DeVries