Comparing Sequences: on PCs?

harley at chempath.uct.ac.za harley at chempath.uct.ac.za
Fri Jul 28 04:44:57 EST 1995

In article <3v5e7h$hhh at newsbf02.news.aol.com> tomdevrie at aol.com (Tom DeVrie) writes:
>From: tomdevrie at aol.com (Tom DeVrie)
>Subject: Comparing Sequences: on PCs?
>Date: 26 Jul 1995 08:59:29 -0400

>Are programs for comparing base-pair sequences available on Macs or PCs,
>rather than only on Unix work stations?

.  My final project will be designing a
>evolution/mol. biol./  One part of the course will be to take Genbank
sequences from>related organisms (e.g., cetaceans) and establish their
similarity.  For>mtDNA sequences of 250-350 bp, this could be done crudely
by hand, but>program that aligns sequences, assigns color codes to
nucleotides, etc. >would be more appealing to students, not to mention more
efficient and>powerful.

I'll send you a zipped copy of DAPSA (includes documentation & test files
etc) - it does everything you want and is designed to be very user-friendly.
If you want I can send you a set of cetacean sequences, which we have been
working on, or alternatively a set of cetacean restriction maps of mit DNA.
let me know if its what you want.

Tom DeVries