genetic code & mutation rates

Sean Eddy eddy at
Mon Jul 31 07:19:41 EST 1995

In article <3vauce$obv at> hpyockey at (HPYockey) writes:
  >Theoretical biology should follow theoretical physics.

With respect, I couldn't disagree more.

Theoretical physics has made such tremendous strides because, in
physics, simplicity is truth. In biology, simplicity is rarely
truth. Occam's razor need not apply to a biological system that has
been mightily lifted from the ooze by three billion years of
evolutionary tinkering.

In my opinion, much harm has been done to "theoretical biology" by
physicists who are unwilling to know how complex their favorite
biological problem really is.  (Present company excepted, I hope.)

- Sean Eddy
- Dept. of Genetics, Washington University School of Medicine
- eddy at