Comparing Sequences: on PCs?

Peter.DeRijk derijkp at hgins.uia.ac.be
Mon Jul 31 07:25:40 EST 1995

Tom DeVrie (tomdevrie at aol.com) wrote:
: Are programs for comparing base-pair sequences available on Macs or PCs,
: rather than only on Unix work stations?

: Four years ago, I took a grad course in mol. evoln. at Oregon State.
: There, we used Unix-based programs for comparing sequences and
: constructing trees.  Now, I am participating in a summer program in mol.
: biol. for high school teachers.  My final project will be designing a
: evolution/mol. biol./ stratigraphy/radiometric dating integrative elective
: course.  One part of the course will be to take Genbank sequences from
: related organisms (e.g., cetaceans) and establish their similarity.  For
: mtDNA sequences of 250-350 bp, this could be done crudely by hand, but
: program that aligns sequences, assigns color codes to nucleotides, etc.
: would be more appealing to students, not to mention more efficient and
: powerful.

There is DCSE (Dedicated Comparative Sequence Editor) for DOS. It does what
you want, though the Unix versions are a lot nicer. You might consider
using Linux to run Unix programs on your PC. You can find more info on and
the distributions of DCSE on URL:
http://www-rrna.uia.ac.be/~peter/dcse
or use anonymous ftp to host indigo2.uia.ac.be

: Thanks for any help that can be offered.

: Tom DeVries

Peter De Rijk

Peter De Rijk			derijkp at uia.ua.ac.be

To achieve the impossible, one must think the absurd.
to look where everyone else has looked, but to see what no one else has seen.