gene families

SDatta/MCCaldwell mcc6641 at bioch.tamu.edu
Wed Jun 7 23:50:00 EST 1995

Hi folks.  I have a question about homologies between sequences.  Specifically,
I have isolated a number of genomic clones from a Drosophila. mel. library
that hybridized to a gene from Dros. mel.  The gene I probed with encodes a
secreted glycoprotein of about 474 amino acids. Some of the clones hyb
only at low stringency while others persist to higher stringency.  In this
case, high stringency is 50% formamide at 42 C.  My question is somewhat
difficult to phrase.  What I'm wondering is what can I infer from this type
of hybridization data about the possibility of this being a gene family?
Can I even suggest this possibility with any certainty?  Obviously, I
need sequence data, which I am currently trying to obtain.  This may take
a little while, which is why I'm wondering how far I can take the info that
I have.  Any advice or pointers to review/research articles that can give
me some insight into this matter is appreciated.  Since I'm new on this
project, I'm hoping for some info to just give me a feel for what kind of
relationship these related sequences may have to the original probe sequence.
Thanks for your help.

Craig