Protein Evolutionary rates

Shelly Pracht shelly at
Mon Jun 12 15:50:02 EST 1995

There was work done on evolutionary rates relative to phylogenetic trees,
tested on 16S rRNA done at the University of Illinois (Urbana) by
Gary Olsen and his co-workers.  (gary at  As far as I know it
hasn't been published, but I worked on it between 1993-1994.

The program FastDNAml (an updated version of Joseph Felsenstein's DNAml)
allows evolutionary rates as a parameter in the analysis of aligned DNA
sequences.  The C source code is available by anonymous FTP from the Ribosomal
Database Project at in directory pub/RDP/programs/fastDNAml.

Some other programs are described in:

Shelly Pracht