DNA vs amino acid sequences

Patrick O'Neil patrick at corona
Mon Jun 12 23:28:45 EST 1995

On Mon, 12 Jun 1995, Tom Thatcher wrote:

> > I am now in the process of generating a phylogenetic tree of actin
> >sequences from some lower
> >vertebrates.  I am wondering which sequence I should use - DNA or amino
> >acid? Which is more appropriate for a highly conserved protein like the
> >actins?
>
> I have published trees for tubulin, HMGs, and histones (all from the
> lab of M. A. Gorovsky).  In all cases I used the amino acid sequences,
> for the following reasons:

I would think that the fact that DNA sequence doesn't always translate
into amino acid sequence is another factor.  That is, I refer to
postransaltion editing in which non-coded amino acids are added or coded
aminos removed in processing.  This could lead to relatively minor
differences in DNA sequence that nevertheless leads to roughly the same
protein sequence after final editing.

Patrick