Driving Evolution (Sort of like Miss Daisy)

Bert Gold gold at astro.ocis.temple.edu
Thu Jun 15 07:53:19 EST 1995

When I suggested that evolution might have a driver, in a recent
answer to a question in this group, I feel I was misunderstood.

I was trying to address the issues set forth in some of the literature
below.  All are excellent articles.  I would appreciate netters comments
after you read these articles.  Graduate Students:  This means, go to
the library before you write me back.

Neel, J.V. (1942) A study of a case of high mutation rate in
Drosophila melanogaster.  Genetics, 27: 519-536.

Dr. Neel's discussion of his work on pages 2-19 of his book:
Physician to the Gene Pool (1994) Wiley and Sons, New York is
a worthy accompanyment to this article.

Kidwell, M.G.; Novy, J.B. and Feeley, S.M. (1981) Rapid unidirectional
change of hybrid dysgenesis potential in Drosophila.  Journal of
Heredity 72 (1): 32-38.

for an update see Kidwell, J.F. (1994) Journal of Medical Entomology
31: 10-16.

Neel discusses his ideas about novel mechanisms of mutation in Chapter
15 of the aformentioned book by him and he shows some fascinating
pictures of spontaneous and apparently benign chromosome breakage,
taken by Dr. Arthur Bloom and Dr. Neel cites:

Jeffreys et al. (1988) Spontaneous mutation rates to new length alleles
at tandem-repetitive hypervariable loci in human DNA.  Nature 332: 278-281.

and especially,

Kricker, Drake and Radman (1992) Duplication-targeted DNA methylation and
mutagenesis in the evolution of eukaryotic chromosomes.  PNAS 89: 1075-1079.

Although I welcome creative suggestions by informed readers, this group
is primarily established for scholarly readers.

So, please read a bunch before you enter the fray.

Bert Gold
Temple and Jefferson
Philadelphia