Evolution? Can anyone really believe this?

Vernon Lovic (REH) lovic at luna.cas.usf.edu
Thu Jun 15 21:42:22 EST 1995

Hi all.  I realize I am about to be the target of some flames, but here
goes anyway.

I am aware that DNA contains the building code of the organism.  I am
aware that it is an extremely involved sequence of code that determines
even the most minute characteristics of the organism to which it
belongs.  The length of a hair follicle on the forearm of a man, or it's
diameter, or it's color is all included in the coding.  Am I correct so
far?  I am aware that the nucleotides are ordered into a pattern that
determines the various characteristics.

What I am completely at a loss for, and I believe everyone in the
scientific community is at a loss for is describing how the cell uses
this extremely complex sequence of nucleotides to build an organism as
complex as a human being--or even a plant!  I must assume that the cell
is able to decode this sequence (which only recently have scientists
themselves with some of the most sensitive instruments available to man
been able to accomplish in only simple organisms so far) and to
specialize each cell into that which is required.  Please take note.  I
am saying that within each cell must be the ability to decode the DNA and
to realize where this cell itself is in the process of cell division (is
it the 1st?  the 64th?  the millionth?  etc.) it must then transform
itself into the specialized cell which is required (is it a brain cell?
A toenail?  A hair follicle cell?) for building the complete organism.
If the cell itself is not responsible for this decoding and
differentiation, then some other group of cells must be responsible.  Are
these the brain cells of the developing organism?

I'm trying hard to make this clear, but I guess my primary argument is
that SOMETHING is in control of the entire process of cell
differentiation within the developing organism.  To say that the DNA is
the master code that determines an organisms characteristics is not
telling us anything that reveals the process behind the decoding of the
DNA resulting in a functioning organism!  Is every cell within our body
capable of decoding it's DNA and assigning itself to a position within
the development of the organism depending on that code?

If someone can explain to me how that happens I have yet more questions!

Picture a developing human being as the combination of the two sex cells
M and F.  From this cell must multiply literally trillions of cells.
Each differentiated cell must move to the spot (in 3-dimensional space)
where it will grow into the desired characteristic of the organism (i.e.
a brain cell must move toward the head area and find it's place among the
other brain cells--or, start it's own area of brain cells if it is the
first).  If the cells just develop in a mass and then later differentiate
then what is the process whereby a brain cell differentiates into such
and a bone cell in the skull of the individual right next to the brain
cell develops into its own kind of cell?  What regulates that?  What is
there to tell each cell to be it's own kind?  And, does this "brain"
reside within each cell or is it a group of cells?

This "brain" that guides the differentiation of cells and controls the
number of each type of cell in the human body and the characteristics of
the cells is much more powerful than a supercomputer!  Is there a
superbrain within each cell?  Can anyone enlighten me here?  What is the
mechanism that controls all the billions of chemical reactions that must
occur to create the millions of kinds of differentiated cells?  If you
can answer that, then think of what controls the group of specialized
cells and forms them into functioning organs?  Organ systems?  It's
totally unbelievable that something so complex can be regulated by
something so small (a cell) with such amazing attention to detail.

Any responses?  Either Email or post here.

Thanks.

No, I am not a creationist, I am just a disbeliever in evolution
according to a lot of very basic ideas.  Feel free to shed some light if
you can.

Peace...

Vernon