Evolution? Can anyone really believe this?

Robert B. Hole rbh2 at Ra.MsState.Edu
Fri Jun 16 17:38:39 EST 1995

I've just got to respond to this line. Some of the questions (okay, MOST
of the questions) are very good ones.
However!
Just because you, or I, or at the present anyone doesn't know how DNA
does something doesn't make it not happen.
We don't fully understand
gravity (my physicist friends keep telling me), yet that doesn't make
gravity wrong.
Just because we don't have a clear picture of how the weather works does
not automatically mean some outside force is controlling it.
ALL ALL ALL it means is that we don't yet understand!
There is some understanding of the mechanism controlling how genes
function in controlling cell growth, division and diferentiation (check
out a recent developmental biology text - it's probably five years out of
date, as texts often are, but you'll find a lot of the answers there).
Our understanding is
incomplete. But remember, we've known about genes for less than 150
years, and we've known the structure of DNA for fewer than 50.
We've been working on gravity since Og dropped a rock on his foot in his
cave (pardon me if that sounds a bit silly, I'm a silly person) and we
don't know everything about gravity (as I said).
It's just complicated!!
Did everyone understand algebra the first time it was shown to them? And
it's EASY in comparison.

Robert Hole, Jr.
Dept. Biol. Sci.
Mississippi State Univ.
(Just because I don't understand, doesn't make it wrong)