Post-doctoral position

Steve Palumbi palumbi at UHUNIX.UHCC.HAWAII.EDU
Tue Jun 20 17:02:03 EST 1995

POSTDOCTORAL POSITION AVAILABLE IN MOLECULAR EVOLUTION OF
               GAMETE RECOGNITION GENES

from Steve Palumbi, Kewalo Marine Laboratory and the Department
            of Zoology, University of Hawaii

PROJECT DESCRIPTION: A post-doctoral researcher is sought to join our
project on the cloning{and sequence characterization of the gene coding
for the sperm receptor on sea urchin eggs.

Sea urchin fertilization involves the interaction
between an attachment gene on the sperm (called bindin) and a receptor
on the egg surface. We have extensively characterized the molecular
evolution of the bindin gene from a set of closely related tropical sea
urchins whose reproductive isolation depends on egg-sperm
incompatibility. We are now interested in the co-evolution of the
receptor gene with the bindin protein, the role this co-evolution plays
in reproductive isolation, and the way the receptor gene product
interacts with the highly polymorphic bindin protein.

The receptor has been cloned for a related sea urchin genus, and we will
use PCR, cDNA cloning and Southern blot analysis to pull the homologous
gene from the tropical genus Echinometra.

POSITION DESCRIPTION:  The position is for at least 1 year and is
renewable based on funding and progress. Salary is in the form of a
stipend at the rate of $33,000 for the first year. Applicants should be
familiar with general techniques in molecular evolution including PCR,
sequencing, cDNA preparation, and Southern blot analysis The laboratory
is housed at the Kewalo Marine Lab, on the southern shore of Oahu, in
Honolulu. It helps if you tend not to be distracted by a nice view or
high surf. Start date is Fall 1995. Please send application materials by
July 31, although applications will be accepted until the position is
filled.

WHAT NEXT:  Please send a cv, the names of two references, and a brief
description of your overall interests in molecular approaches to
evolution to:

Steve Palumbi
Kewalo Marine Lab
41 Ahui ST.