Euk.genes that function and live together

Michael A. Charleston m.a.charleston at
Thu Jun 22 17:11:48 EST 1995

In article
<Pine.SUN.3.91.950621083011.27504A-100000 at>,
Christopher G Winter <cgw1 at> wrote:

> What evidence is there that genes whose products
> function together, and are unrelated in sequence, are co-localized in the
> genome -- a la operonic genes in prok's?
> Clearly, there are many examples of proteins that are known to be
> components of the same metabolic pathway, but whose genes are no where
> near each other. However, I wonder if there may be certain exceptions to
> this rule.

I just heard a talk by Robert Moyzis, director of the Human Genome project
at Los Alamos, in which he mentioned that there is a large cluster of
genes related to olfaction.

Matt Brauer <mjbrauer at>
Dept. of Zoology
University of Texas, Austin