DNA vs amino acid sequences

Doug Eernisse DEernisse at fullerton.edu
Sun Jun 25 17:45:38 EST 1995

In article <ts15-2306951442190001 at 128.253.38.30>, ts15 at cornell.edu (Ted
Schultz) wrote:

> [..."protein Parsimony"] can be
> implemented by generateing a protein parsimony step matrix in MacClade,
> then running the analysis in PAUP after assigning the step-matrix
> character type to the amino acid characters.

PAUP 3.x or greater has always included sample files with "ProtPars" step
matrices for either standard or vertebrate mtDNA codon table
translations. MacClade may allow you to do other nonstardard codes,
for example, fly/mollusc/nematode or echinoderm mtDNA codes -- I'm not
sure.

> I understand that protein
> parsimony can also be applied in PHYLIP, though I have never tried this.

I believe the standard ("universal") codon translation protein
parsimony (ProtPars) is used as default, with no option to do parsimony with
equal weighting or protein parsimony based on other codes. One should
still be able to use equal weighting if the data are not treated as
protein data. Is this still correct, Joe?

--
Doug Eernisse <DEernisse at fullerton.edu>
Dept. Biological Science MH282