Two-component signalling in yeast?

arlin at arlin at
Wed Mar 1 08:21:17 EST 1995

In article <3ij58o$4g1 at>, labonnes at (S. LaBonne) writes:
> I have a vague recollection of seeing, not too many months ago, a paper
> reporting the cloning of yeast homologues of a bacteria-like histidine
> kinase and/or response regulator.  Having stupidly failed to note the
> reference at the time, I am wondering whether anyone reading this newsgroup
> might be able to provide it.  Thanks!

Chang & Meyerowitz (1994) Eukaryotes have "two-component" signal transducers.
Res Microbiol 145: 481-486.

If I recall correctly, homologs of the bacterial system have been found in
yeast and arabidopsis, both reported in 1994.  This has implications
for inferring properties of the common ancestors of archaebacteria,
eubacteria, and eukaryotes.  Researchers continue to find (in one of
the three groups) homologs of proteins that were once considered to be
(under the "progenote" view) independent "refinements" specific
to whatever group in which the protein was first found (another
example would be NusA, an important player in the eubacterial transcription
cycle that is now known in archaebacteria).

Arlin (arlin at