recombinase genes and viral transfer

Ralph M Bernstein ralph at ccit.arizona.edu
Wed Mar 1 10:27:52 EST 1995

Hi all,
I was wondering if any has hear of a higher eukaryotic gene organization
such as this :

2 genes, intronless, facing towards eachother (promotion-wise) that are
absolutly critical for the function of a system.  these genes show no
homology to eachother (or anyother genes for that matter) but are conserved
for over 500 million years of evolution.  they are absolutly critical for
function.

these are the recombinase activating genes.  they are essential for immune
system function-t and b cell rearrangement.  a possible theory is that they
are the resylt of horizontal gene transfer from a viral infection
(intronless, 2 genes for one function right next to each other on the same
chromasome...ect)  500 million years ago or so.  they are almost completly
conserved over this time.

question: can anyone support the viral introduction theory?
          can anyone give me an example of any other system where 2 genes
like this are essential for function, may have similar function (well maybe
not similar but complimentary) and or are anything like this?

i am really looking for any similarities anyone can propose, so ANY crazed
sp[eculation is welcome!

if anyone has an idea, but needs more info just email me,
thx  ralph

Ralph M. Bernstein
Dept of Micro/Immuno
University of Arizona