?????

Mark Siddall mes at zoo.toronto.edu
Fri Mar 31 03:38:54 EST 1995

Nobody doing molecular phylogeny anymore?

Here's a piece of food for thought:
Consider having hit Joe's Zone due to a few highly deviant substitution
rates on some lineages/taxa.
How do we determine how stable these groupings are/are not.
I would argue that bootstrapping is irellevant here because
bootstrapping whacked out data will give you whacked out
pseudoreplicates.
That is, in so far as bootstrapping claims to better "get-at" the
underlying distribution, if that underlying distribution
suffers from some systematic error so will the estimation(s) made by
bootstrapping.

Mark

Gloucester Point, VA, 23062