Chloroplast genome rearrangements-help

Michelle Waycott mitch at
Thu May 18 02:26:09 EST 1995

Hi there everyone,

We are interested in understanding the processes that might lead to
rearrangements within the chloroplast genome.

Because it is a circular molecule can a little loop overlay a distant
region then it and the larger segment break and rejoin, forming a
translocated segment which is not strictly an inversion?

Published papers that we have seen explain such a distant relocation as
the product of repeated unequal inversions.  What we have in mind is not
the same process.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Michelle and Helen