Calculating Nei's Nucleotide Diversity

Jean Lobry lobry at
Wed May 31 04:38:58 EST 1995

In article m06 at,  swhitfie at (Simon Whitfield) writes:
>I'm trying to get hold of a program (or even a spreadsheet) for estimating the
>value and variance of pi, the "nucleotide diversity" measure of DNA polymorphism
>described by Masatoshi Nei in his book "Molecular Evolutionary Genetics".

You may compute Nei's nucleotide diversity with the program MULTICOMP :

Reeves, P.R., Farnell, L., Lan, R. (1994) MULTICOMP: a program for preparing
sequence data for phylogenetic analysis. CABIOS 10:281-284.

Contact the authors by e-mail : reeves at

Jean R. Lobry, URA - CNRS 243, Biometry - Genetics and Population Biology
Univ. C. Bernard - LYON I, 43 Bd 11/11/1918, F-69622 VILLEURBANNE CEDEX
phone  : (33) 72 44 80 00 ext. 33 32
fax    : (33) 78 89 27 19             e-mail:lobry at