Simple, deep, evolutionary tree

Winston Hide hide at maspar.com
Fri Nov 3 02:25:07 EST 1995

In article <DH9MGG.M3B at murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU>,
wrp at avery.med.Virginia.EDU (Bill Pearson) wrote:

>         I am looking for a modern, deep, but relatively sparse
> evolutionary tree that I can use to illustrate the concept of homology
> for protein sequence similarity searches.  In the past, I have used
> the tree in one of the early Atlas of Protein Sequence and Structure
> volumes, but I would prefer something that is (1) modern and (2) not
> copyrighted.  Ideally, it would contain several vertebrates (including
> human of course), invertebrates, plants, fungi, and 3 - 6 prokaryotes
> (including E. Coli).  If you have a reasonable newick tree that fits
> the bill, or can point me to a postscript file or WWW site, I would
> appreciate it greatly.
>
> The trees from the ribosomal database project are far too complex for
> my purpose.
>
> Bill Pearson
The recently published plant/animal/fungi/protist/prokaryote tree of Mitch
Sogin's
group presenting the relationship of fungi and plants to animals is worth
consideration. It was published in Science nearly two years ago. It has
extremely robust analysis to support it: Maximum likelyhood values and
Parsimony, supported by both bootstrapping and numbers of informative
sites (if my fading memory serves me well?)

The study was impressive because the authors used several methods to support
the tree, an all too rare phenomenon!

Regards;
Win Hide

PS: I'm posting from another person's account.